Printable Residency Information PDF
Artists working in various printmaking techniques, book arts and digital media can apply to become an Artist-in-Residence at The Ink Shop. Artists who apply for residency should be familiar with at least one of the media offered at The Ink Shop. Considerations for acceptance are conceptual creativity and technical knowledge. The Ink Shop encourages use of both traditional and new technologies.
Resident artists receive 24-hour access to the print studio, presses, and computer equipment with the possibility to exhibit with The Ink Shop and have exposure on our website. Artists also receive a 20% discount on private tutoring offered by The Ink Shop.
Artists may apply for 1 or 2- week residencies, and must specify the desired residency length in the application. All materials must be received one month in advance of the Residency
Please submit the following by email to email@example.com
or by mail to:
The Ink Shop Printmaking Center
Residency, Attn: Craig
330 MLK/E. State St
Ithaca, NY 14850
Checklist for submission:
__application cover sheet
__resumé (include detailed information on your previous experience with the media you wish to use)
__work samples (CD/DVD); maximum 20 works or 10 minutes of video (by email, under 10MB total)
__two letters of recommendation.
Materials will not be returned
IF YOU ARE ACCEPTED TO THE PROGRAM
You will find out if you have been accepted approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Artists’ who are accepted are required to do an Initial Technical Review with the studio managers. If accepted, the artist completes any required conditions from the studio managers within a reasonable time frame, signs the residency contract, and pays a $100 security deposit. The remaining balance should be paid on the first day of arrival. You will have access to the studio 24/7. We request a donation of one print created during the residency.
1 week $245
2 weeks $490
The Ink Shop is within short walking distance to many excellent restaurants. Ithaca was named one of Bon Appetit’s Foodiest Towns for 2010.
On location we have available for purchase:
Fine Art Papers: Rives BFK, Somerset, Arches 88, Hahnemuhle Copperplate, Kitakata, as well as newsprint for proofing.
Please bring your own inks, matrices, and drawing tools.
Supplies provided include: Brayers & rollers, clean-up supplies, paper towels, spatulas, sponges, etc
As listed under Studio:
- 30 x 48″ Takach etching press
- 14 x 30″ Conrad etching press
- 27 x 48″ Wright combination litho press
- 12 x 7″ Chandler and Price clamshell press
- Nolan 15 x 32″ proofing press
- Nolan 13 x 24″ proofing press
- 32 x 40″ Nuarc MegaLight exposure unit
- 23 screens of various sizes
- Wash out sink and power washer
- 31 x 47″ drying rack
- 4 cabinets of wood and metal type and furniture
- 42″ Logan Simplex mat cutter
- 62″ Logan Simplex Model 760 mat cutter
- 22″ Kutrimmer
- 36″ paper shear
- 36 x 50″ flat files
- 28 x 40″ flat files
- 30″ cast iron metal sheer17 x 9″ nipping press
- 8 paper bath trays of various sizes
- 3 iMacs with OS X version 10.10.5 with Adobe CS6 (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Epson 10000XL flatbed scanner
- Canon Pro 100 13×19″ color inkjet printer
- Canon Image Class MF6550 and HP2055dn B&W laser printers
We are a communal working facility with approximately 35 artist members. During the two-week artist-in-residence period the shop hours will be maintained by our staff from 1pm – 6pm Tuesday – Friday and noon – 4pm Saturdays.